Monday, September 24, 2012

Eclectic Chic...Pencil Post Legs!

I had this great little table for over a year now in my garage buried by other pieces waiting for their turn to be transformed.  It is a fabulous Antique Drop Leaf Dining Table with Drawer on One End.  Drop leaf Dining Tables are not rare - with a drawer maybe a little more rare but what made this table such an eye catcher was her legs!  She has the prettiest and unique pencil post style legs!
 
 
 
She started out with me pretty rough with the top totally unattached from the base and a crack down the center.  I had her top secured to the base and then I used some wood putty to fill in the crack.  Now this table was one that my sister borrowed to "stage" her house to sell as her existing table was too large for the space and this one made the room feel larger.  When she returned it to me it ended up in the front hall right behind the front door.  It sat there for a couple of days with the door banging into it by five children, my husband and myself.  I finally decided I have to paint this piece and sell it before it or more front door was damaged!  Well in hindsight I realize now I should have used wood glue and clamped the top to secure it better.  I must admit though the crack does not bother me - I believe it adds character and shows what this table has endured over it's lifetime. 
 
 
 
I sanded the wood putty down and primed and painted the piece with a coat of off white paint.  I lightly distressed the table in all the right places.  The table distressed so nicely.  The legs - they looked even better painted and then distressed to highlight their features! 
 
 

 
Look at these Legs!!

 
She then received a coat of wax and made her way to Heritage Square Antique Mall where she did not even last 24 hours!  She is a beauty and somehow was lucky to notice that right away!  The table was purchased with another of my favorite pieces in my booth and I think they will complement one another nicely!
 
I have a lot of painting to do this week and look forward to sharing my projects with you!
 
Please stop by my booths...G021, C096 and J08
 
Heritage Square Antique Mall
1865 Brice Rd
Columbus, Ohio
Right off I70 at the Brice Rd North Reynoldsburg Exit
 
614-864-8722
 
Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment