Monday, November 12, 2012

Eclectic Chic...Manly Cedar Chest...

Before I start I must apologize as I have no Before or During Photos of this piece.  I keep promising to take them and I thought I was getting better but I guess not. 
 
This weekend the weather was beautiful in Ohio!  Between the fabulous weather and trying to get all ready for the Scott's Antique Show I was in a paint, paint, paint mode.  Cameras and Photos were the last thing I was thinking of until it was too late!  I do have a fabulous table with Before and After photos to share on Wednesday though. 
 
 
I purchased this Cedar Chest months and months ago.  I ran into a dealer friend of mine when I was purchasing this and we both agreed it would look fabulous painted.  I bought this piece and she bought a fabulous table.  She painted the table many months ago and I am finally getting to this piece.  Both the table and the chest turned out fantastic!
 
 
So this piece was a bit rough and had two small pieces of veneer missing.  But the carved ship on the front and the faux lock was just too fabulous to pass up!  It is a Vintage piece made by the Cavalier Company.
 
 
I started with Wood Filler and filled in the two missing pieces.  After they dried I sanded them smooth to match the rest of the top. 
 
 
I mixed some paint from Lowes in various shades to come up with the color.  I used an off white and a very, very pale green.  I did not want it to be just an off white in case someone would want to use it in a boy's room!  What a great piece for a Pirate themed room!  I then mixed some Plaster of Paris in with the paint to make Chalk Paint.
 
 
I painted the sides with the custom mixed paint and then I mixed some various shades of blue for the skirt and the ship accent piece.  The first blue I tried looked too  much like baby blue and I saw this for an older boy not a nursery.  So I went for a darker blue with a hint of turquoise.  I mixed the Plaster of Paris again for the Chalk Paint effect.
 
 
After it dried I used a hand sander with fine grit sand paper and distressed it.  I then used a clear Wax Paste on the surfaces. 
 
 
It is a gorgeous piece and yet another piece I would keep for myself if only I had room for it!
 
 
Please stop by Heritage Square Antique Mall to see other items available for sale.  I have three booths - G021, C096 and J08.  They are full of fabulous finds in styles to suit everyone's tastes!
 
Heritage Square Antique Mall
1865 Brice Rd
Columbus, Ohio
614-864-8722
 
Just off of I 70 at the Brice Rd North Reynoldsburg Exit
 
Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment