Wednesday, August 1, 2012

The Ugly Duckling!


This piece was in pretty sad shape when I rescued her from a tag sale that appeared to be items from either an antique dealer or someone who appreciates antiques:


But this little beauty had been overlooked for too long until I saw potential in her and even had to rearrange a van full of other treasures just to squeeze her in to get her home!


The finish was worn, all the drawer pulls were gone and the top needed wood filler.


But she had a lot of potential.  Solid Wood, a Great Bow Front, Dovetailed Drawers and Pretty Legs.


I knew I wanted to distress this piece to show the original wood so I used an off white paint with primer included in the paint.  This saves a step and also helps with easier distressing.




I found a nice little surprise when I went to clean out the inside of all the cobwebs and dust:


Thankfully the wasps inside were dead!!  But when I saw this I took the piece outside as I did not know if the nest was alive or not and with 5 children in the house I did not want a swarm in my house!  I do not have many photos of the middle process of the transformation as my mind was on the nest and not photos!


 Thankfully my husband made it home and removed the nest which was quite old.  That was a relief!  And I was back to restyling with photos!



I painted the dresser an off white and the drawers a pale blue.  The inside of the drawers I decided to paint a blue with a hint of purple for some fun!


I added some fun floral hardware and distressed the piece and applied a coat of clear wax.



This Ugly Duckling Sure Turned out Beautiful!


I love this paint combination! 



She will be on her way to Heritage Square Antique Mall tomorrow and you can find her in booth J08.
Heritage Square is located at 1865 Brice Rd in Reynoldsburg, Ohio
614-864-8722
I have two other booths full of fabulous, eclectic pieces - G021 and C096


Thank you!

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by PICKINandPAINTIN.blogspot.com and leaving such nice comments. Of course, I had to come check you out. Lovin this piece. The colors are so pretty together. I don't think I've ever done a piece in two colors, but this makes me wanna try. Have fun in your booth today.
    Now following you.............Candy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the 2nd piece I have done in two colors and they both have turned out really nice.
      Did not make it to my booths today. The gas company came out to switch to new gas lines and just left. My son has a birthday party to attend on the other side of town so no booth resetting for me today - boo!

      Delete
  2. What a gorgeous job - absolutely loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you did great job with the dresser, beautiful!
    keya

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love this transformation. The colors look great together, the purple inside the drawers is so fun, and the distressing is perfect! Great job.

    ReplyDelete