Thursday, July 18, 2013

From Flesh Tone to Fabulous...

I saw a photo of this Vintage Vanity or Desk online and loved the details and loved the fact that it already looked restyled and ready to go!  I made arrangements to pick it up the next day and when I arrived I was in for a surprise. 
 

Here is the photo I saw online.
 
 
Here is a photo I took of the piece outside showing it's true color.
 
 
 
 
When I first saw the photo I thought the piece had been painted off white.  It was not.  This piece had been painted a flesh color.  Not a pretty pale peach but a not so attractive flesh tone.
 
The Vanity is Solid Wood and is a well built piece with dovetailed drawers.  It is as solid as you can get - this piece weighs a ton with the drawers in!
 
I painted the drawers a pale aqua blue.
 

 
I then painted the cabinet my custom mixed color - "Sterling".  This appears off white but has the smallest amount of grey in it.  Super pretty!
 


 
The top had been painted at one time and when they sanded the paint off they had left white paint here and there.  So I sanded and redid the top as well.  The wood is super pretty!
 
 
I contemplated not distressing the Vanity but she has such pretty lines and decorative details that I knew would pop with some distressing.  I was worried about the flesh tone peeking through.  I opted to distress it and it turned out beautiful.  The flesh tone did pop through in some places but with it showing only here and there the color was much nicer.  It was nicer in small doses rather than the entire piece being painted that particular color.
 





 
I waxed the piece and replaced the original hardware.
 
 
 
This piece can be used as a Vanity with a Pretty Wall Mirror hanging above it or it can be used as a Kneehole Desk.  I at first thought of it as a desk but the back is stenciled Vanity which was it's original purpose. 
 
 
She will be making her debut in one of my booths but not sure which one yet.  Please look for her today or tomorrow in Booth C96, G20 or G21
 
Heritage Square Antique Mall
1865 Brice Road
Columbus, Ohio
614-864-8722
 
Booths G20, G21 and C96
 
Just off of I70 at the Brice Rd North Reynoldsburg Exit.
 
Follow us on Facebook at Eclectic Design Inc
 
Thank you!


No comments:

Post a Comment