Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Antique Beauty.....

This is a True Antique Beauty!  Solid Wood with Layers and Layers of Old Paint!  Locks on every drawer which are complete!  Many times the workings inside the drawers have been removed but this is not the case with this Chest!


 Drawers are Dovetailed Front and Back showing great craftsmanship and quality on this piece!




 FABULOUS Vintage Glass Knobs...not original to the piece but they definitely have been on the chest for many, many years! 


The photo below is much better....look at the details on these knobs!  Wow!  As mentioned above the glass knobs are not the original hardware as under the top layer or two of paint I found another hole to the side of each glass knob indicating this piece had handles versus knobs at one time.  I am in love with the glass knobs so they must stay!  They really make this piece!


And the layers of Natural Chipping Painting!!  You cannot fake this!   Original Wood Casters too!


With all the original Chippy paint I could not bring myself to paint this piece! But I did sand the top layer off of her as the paint had cracked and had an alligator skin look to it.  See the close up below to see how the paint looked prior to sanding.


 I knew something below was bound to look much better!  And thankfully I was correct!  I used an orbital hand sander to remove just the top layer of paint.  Here she is with the top layer of paint sanded off  the drawers and top.  That was a long task but well worth it! 





The sides did not look as good sanded so I grabbed a can of Sherwin Williams Antique White and crossed my fingers!  I put a light layer on the sides and thankfully it matched perfectly!!  It must truly be an antique white....lol!


She is a true beauty with a light makeover! 



To see more Beauties please visit my three booths at Heritage Square Antique Mall...G021, C096, and J08
Heritage Square is located at 1865 Brice Road in Reynoldsburg, Ohio
614-864-8722

Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment: